Volunteerism is a cornerstone of the Village model
, drawing upon the untapped capacity of people in our communities to support each other.
Our Village has a “volunteer-first” policy
, finding a qualified volunteer to fulfill a request before referring members to a commercial vendor.
Ashby Village volunteers include members, their children, college students, empty nesters, retirees, and many others from the community.
Some of the benefits volunteers experience
- Staying active – physically, mentally and socially
- Connecting with others, and feeling part of community
- Putting talents, skills and capacities to good use
- Paying it forward – knowing that someday each of us will also need support
- Complete the Volunteer Application
- Provide two personal references (not family members)
- Participate in a 20-30 minute in-person interview with our volunteers placement coordinators
- Complete a Verified Volunteers online criminal background check and a DMV records check* (if driving)
- Participate in a half-day Volunteer Orientation and Training, which is generally offered quarterly
- Sign our Volunteer Code of Ethics
To meet the requirements of our background checks policy, a social security number is required. We may be able to accommodate office or event volunteering for international prospective volunteers without a social security number.
*There are some items on a driving record that automatically preclude an applicant from serving as an Ashby Village driver, e.g., any suspension of driver's license, DUI, auto accident involving personal injury, outstanding fines, and within the last three years moving violations or an auto collision (no personal injuries) . The foregoing list is not exhaustive; in some situations additional information will indicate that an applicant is not appropriate to serve as an Ashby Village driver. When a concern is presented regarding the safety of our members. Ashby Village places the driver’s eligibility status on hold until the concern is resolved.
WAYS YOU CAN HELP:
- Providing transportation to medical appointments
- Helping with minor household repair
- Computer and technology support
- Light gardening
- Pet Care
- Friendly visitor
Supporting the organization
- Outreach and Events
- Communication and Marketing
- Graphic Design
- Managing Projects
- Administrative Support
Volunteer to Volunteer (V2V) Program:
Groups of volunteers working together in several ways:
- Hearts N' Hands
: doing half day projects together at member homes, e.g., gardening, cleaning, repairs, painting, etc.
- Volunteer B' Cause
: assisting local non-profit organizations who need help with specific projects
: fun activities that offer a chance to get to know other volunteers while having a good time.
Check out Volunteer Program highlights
Download the PDF flyer of the Volunteer Program
Read about 2017 Play-It-Forward Dragon Max boat racing and check out the 2017 and 2016 videos
of our day of fun!